hm.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Today's been a little awkward in places.

I'd received ang paos from both my aunts, my grandma and my mum as advance gifts for my birthday...totaling $250. I always feel so embarrassed when taking money from them when I know they're no more well off than I am! Especially my grandma, she's already so old, but still insists that I take money from her on several ocassions. My aunts find financial dilemma commonplace and my mum's stress levels clearly go through the roof everytime the credit card and utility bills arrive. You guys must think I'm crazy for not being willing to accept money, but, it just doesn't feel right.

Even more awkward, before I left the house today a postman arrived at my door urging me to sign an acknowledgement slip before passing me a rather large package. Being curious, I retreated to my room for a while to find out what exactly it was that arrived inside. I tore it open and got an honest, confusing surprise. Inside I found two polo tees, one from Van Heusen and the other from Arnold Palmers, a keychain bearing my name, a Picard wallet, a birthday card and to top it all off, a Solvil Titus watch which looked pretty cool.

I know I shouldn't complain, but the tees came in M and S sizes, the Picard wallet just didn't strike my fancy and unfortunately...I don't wear watches. haha. But I do appreciate the gesture! It's really the thought that counts. And no, I won't reveal who gave these items to me.

I also bought a book today from Borders after lunching with atiqz at Wheelock's Sakae. I had such a great time with her! Was so god damn full I had to throw up air twice on the way home. Thankfully I feel much better now. Imagine being on the verge of throwing up for a full 30 minutes and then having to wait outside the toilet cubicles after realizing they're all occupied.

Well anyway, I picked up 'The Venetian Betrayal' by Steve Berry, after shortlisting a few other conspiracy-oriented books...like 'The Bible of Clay' by Julia Navarro, 'Fivefold' by Nathan Burrage, and a couple others I found pretty interesting. I could only buy one though! Buying more than one at a time could backfire if I suddenly decided I'd lost interest. Fortunately The Venetian Betrayal was an addicting read right from the start, and I'm looking forward to devoting my time to finishing this book and moving on to another gripping conspiracy. I guess spending my time reading is wayyyyyy more productive than endlessly Facebooking and trying desperately to improve my Word Challenge score. haha! these few weeks have just been...boring, you know?

I was looking through the archives of my older posts in the previous years...I kinda miss the way I blogged in the past! They would be detailed choronological memorials of my days, more so than the endless verbosity of spewing thought and philosophy that I find myself so commonly posting nowadays. I remember the time when I was addicted to suffixing my words with 'x's and 'z's, and having fallen prey to the inexplicable seduction of random capitalisation. It's not strange how I find all that rather irking now. It's even stranger how I realize I was once guilty of it! Well I guess we all have our styles!

I've made it a point to take the stairs as much as I can from now on, and go to the gym at least on alternate days during the block leave, as well as after I begin working again next year. Getting Gold for IPPT has recently become a short term goal for me...why be stuck at Silver when I can hopefully achieve a timing of <9:45mins style="font-style: italic;">hate running. but I'll make it a point to run just for that badge. No, I don't train for fitness. I train to maintain my image and that occasional IPPT.

Four pieces of chocolate are now sitting on my table...soon they shall be in my stomach. muahaha. If my mum's colleagues are going to give me chocolate, by God, why not give me a whole pack of one kind instead of one piece of every kind? I find the former a lot more satisfying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home