hm.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

I've been thinking about this for a while (in a rather depressed manner) and decided that if I had to choose one thing to describe me best, or something that I personify the most, it would be "jack of all trades, master of none"

Throughout my life I've always thought of myself as someone who picks things up fast; someone who can grasp the concept of something just enough to put it into decent practice, and yet I never find myself to be very good at any one of those things.

Perhaps it's my laid back, procrastinotorious attitude towards life that leaves me lacking interest in something soon after I've jumped into it.

Let's see some of the 'trades' I've picked up over the years and chosen to pursue for at least a while (at least, those I can remember)

1. Piano
2. Drumming
3. Parkour
4. Archery
5. Bowling
6. Gaming (this is a skill. Look at WCG.)
7. Pool (is snooker more appropriate?)
8. Dancing (very recently, and I'm not even decent in this)
9. Running (is this a skill?)

I can't really remember anything else, if they do exist. Anyway, I'm not very good at all at these things, and that leaves me wondering how this fact reflects upon my image. Am I... an excessive personification of the mandarin saying "san fen zhong re du" (which literally translates to 3 minutes of heat), meaning I only give my fullest attention and devotion to something for a very short while, after which passing it on as if I'd never picked it up?

I think this kind of attitude is very dangerous...especially when it comes to more serious things in life such as studying a subject in university, getting a job, getting into a romantic relationship and the culmination of all, getting married. Oh, the horror.

Has 20 years on Earth not been enough for me to accurately identify something in terms of its appeal to me? Oh, I like this! I'll want to do this a lot from now on. And a while later, something else comes along to pique my interest, and I suddenly find the former activity or commitment to be part of my distant past.

On a more current note, what about my zealous, unconditional love for the nine girls that are SNSD? Could there possibly be a time in the near future that I would let go of this emotional attachment and pursue something else? This very thought scares me. Profoundly. What is it, exactly, that binds me so closely to these girls whom I've never met (and probably never will meet), and is this binding emotion or object strong enough to withstand the test of time and possibly some external influence?

Perhaps I can say that I still have a certain interest for the things I've mentioned above, but the thing is, I haven't exactly put in enough time or effort into these things to be able to call myself 'decent' doing them. How disappointing. What's more, I don't really have an excuse other than that of laziness for not having become proficient in them.

"All trades known, all trades dull.", said the Chinese.

Embarrassing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home