hm.

Sunday, November 09, 2008

I'm afraid I'm going to turn into one of the many mindless ignorant fools NS seeks to create by depriving me of one the things that had been keeping me going intellectually for the past 12 years before my enlistment...school.

Sure, I can't blame NS if i'm lazy, I don't bother to read the newspaper or find a good book. It sure as hell as a good time to start, though. I feel I need a re-education. So from now onwards I'm going to do my best to learn at least one thing everyday from a reliable source.

Gotta start putting on weight too. I've been feeling and more importantly looking worryingly thin for most of my life and that changed a little after my enlistment...although after BMT I went back to being the skeleton that I had been for a long time. Funny how one should in fact gain weight when he gets into the SAF Bands. They always tell me enough time spent in there will make sure I grow horizontally whether I liked it or not. Trust me...they have no idea how much I'd like that.

Will there be a light at the end of the tunnel? I'm in so many right now. Short term goals, long term goals...maybe if I want them badly enough, I'll find that light somehow. Someone once told me : "It's not a matter of 'can or cannot'. It's whether you WANT it or not." I try to live by that everyday now.

I still regret not being able to get a silver for IPPT that day. I reminded myself of that quote continuously before taking the test and did well for the static stations, but somehow I didn't manage to make it for the run...I stopped, I threw up, and couldn't go on. God that redbull tasted horrid coming out.

Digressing...goals are important not because they are an ending point for people; somewhere to work towards and then you can just stop what you're doing just because you've met those goals. You have to keep going to improve yourself and bring those goals to higher levels if you want to be a real achiever. Goals can make or break you...they can be motivators once met, or they can crush your spirits if they're not. Whatever it is...I remember a saying from Rocky Balboa : "It's not how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit, and stand up and continue fighting" or something along that line. If everyone lived by this mindset then they would be a whole lot stronger both mentally and physically.

Re-education.....help me find my goals...and my sanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home